|1) Rock art is paintings or engravings on fairly non-portable
rocks or boulders. Petroglyphs are usually more formal and the pictographs
are more freeform.
2) Most forms are human, animal, or abstract pattern, tally marks or a
combination of. Ages range from a few hundred to 12,000 years.
3) To commemorate a successful vison, the supplicant would finger-paint pictographs of the
guardian spirit or other dream subjects at the site. Sometimes a circle
around a human with other images drawn outside the circle indicate Vision
4) The linking of pictographs with vision quests was so strong in the northern Columbia
Plateau that the presence of paintings was thought to indicate a very sacred place, where
powerful spirits dwelt.
5) Patination, see Buffalo Eddy WHAT
6) Ideas by Douglas Shoeffler: